I haven’t been drinking much wine lately – it’s fall, I’m drinking cider, or hot things because I’m already Too Damned Cold. (Stupid winter.)
BUT! Recently the Beaujolais Nouveaus came out, and I was thinking about picking up a bottle or three.
I am not a big red drinker – I’m a suck, I prefer white, and I really prefer sparkling – but I can’t resist the descriptions!!
From <a href=”http://www.thestar.com/living/food/drinks/article/1287184–beaujolais-nouveau-gord-stimmell-reviews-new-releases>Quoting descriptions from the Toronto Star wine guy</a>:
• Reif Estate The Fool Gamay Nouveau VQA, (#220483, $9.95, rating of 87) Pale ruby. Candied maraschino cherry and strawberry. Mellow.
• Chateau des Charmes Generation Seven Nouveau VQA, (#318600, $11.95, 88) Darker ruby. Blueberry, black cherry and a hint of vanilla. Tasty.
• Negrar Novello Del Veneto, (#899955, $9.95, 89+) Delicious spice, sandalwood, black cherry and banana notes. Highest rated of the 10 reds.
• Tollo Novello Rosso Terre di Chieti, (#271759, $8.95, 87+) Cherry and vanilla with simple bright cherry on the finish.
• Mommessin Beaujolais Nouveau, (#897934, $13.95 86+) Lightly hued, banana, cherry, raspberry in a delicate style.
• Catalans Primeur Syrah Merlot, (#220533, $9.95, 87) Candied cherry and strawberry, tasting a bit like bubblegum.
• Jeanjean Syrah Primeur, (#899948, $9.95, 86+) Candied plum and cherry in a very light, slightly sweet style.
• Duboeuf Gamay Nouveau, (#891846, $8.95, 89) Black cherry, plum, rose petals, very tasty and gutsy. Best value of the 10 wines.
• Beaujolais Villages Nouveau (Joseph Drouhin), (Vintages, #113266, $14.95, 89) Candied cherry, lilacs, banana and blueberry, good structure.
• Beaujolais Villages Nouveau (G. Duboeuf), (Vintages, #932780, $14.95, 88+) Black cherry, some fruity oomph, with a nicely rich plum finish.
I’m a little afraid of all that black cherry – often that just smells/tastes like cough syrup to me.
Has anyone tried any of these (or other Beaujolais Nouveaus) and have any recommendations?